For those with the same issue:
I just spent hours trying to get firefox to load my css files in my localhost apache dev environment. I ran into a wierd bug where the page would load fine but appeared to not even bother requesting the style sheets. There was no fetching let alone parsing. Chrome and IE were working fine, Firefox was not.
At first i thought it was a Mime type issue as other pages were loading fine and then i thought it was an apache Vhosts issue as other directories appeared to be working fine.
Anyway to cut a long story short it turns out it was the Ad-block firefox extension i had installed.
“There’s no place like 127.0.0.1” …Err except if you happen to be running Adblock software :(
Hope this helps others with the same issue.